Saturday, January 7, 2017

What's in a Name?

My husband thought my first blog post should explain how I came up with the name for this blog, "My Preche." I promised him I'd write about it in my next entry.

I had a hard time coming up with a blog name that fit Hailey and I. I brainstormed during the day and when I couldn't sleep at night. I thought about how my husband and I would always tell people that as rough and tumble as our son is, Hailey was just as sweet and delicate. With my son, we went past his due date and he was born at 8 lbs 6 oz. When Hailey came along, she arrived three weeks early, weighing a dainty 6 lbs 13 oz.

I never dreamt I could give birth to a child that looked like Hailey: as dark as my hair is, hers was strawberry blonde. My eyes are mostly brown, while hers were a shade of blue that told you they'd stay blue for life. Against my tanned skin, she was all peaches and cream. She'd snuggle down into my arms with her legs crossed at the ankle and if I didn't give her one of my fingers to hold on to, she would fold her hands one on top of the other. She was our little lady, and we perfectly described her as "precious."

As the days passed, I'd make more and more idle chatter with Hailey while changing her many dirty diapers. Don't ask me why, but I started shortening "my precious one" (and yes, I know that sounds like Golum from Lord of the Rings talking about his evil ring, and no, Hailey in no way bore any resemblance to that creepy critter!). I started calling her my "preciousness" and then, "preshy preciousness" or "presh."

I thought "my preshy" might be an adequate name for the blog I wanted to start, and ran it by the hubs. His first question was how I would spell it, which I thought about for a second. "Well, if I'm just going with American slang, I'd spell it p-r-e-s-h-y," I replied. "But I could go fancy and spell it in the French style as p-r-e-c-h-e."

I liked the idea of sounding a little more high-brow, and my next step was to Google "preche" to see if it really did mean anything in French or if it was just my own silly creation. When the results and a translation popped up, I was speechless. In French, preche means "sermon." And that is just what Hailey was to me: my own personal sermon. A sermon I now want to share with all of you.

Many of the things I write about in this blog may not be unique...how little control we actually have in life, or to not take a single day for granted, or to always be kind...but what IS unique is my own journey with Hailey to reaching these maxims in such a real and raw way. I hope you will bear with me.

While I don't plan to necessarily write about my journey with Hailey in a chronological way, I will defer to my husband's logical nature and at least spend my next post further explaining why I'm posting under the handle of "From the Borderline", and how life is so rarely black and white.

With love and gratitude for your time to read this.

3 comments:

  1. I love how you say what you write about may not be unique because we all share so much in the human experience but you are spot on that each of our human experiences are different in how we gain the spiritual knowledge! So much love and connection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very powerful and beautifully said. Bless your strength.I saw the same thing when my father passed away. What you said about the soul. They are in a wonderful place.We shall all meet up someday when our time here is done.Just remember Your angel is smiling down at you.Love is the most powerful thing in the world and I think it transcends through time and space and the soul takes that love with them on to heaven bless you and your family's I will continue to pray for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very powerful and beautifully said. Bless your strength.I saw the same thing when my father passed away. What you said about the soul. They are in a wonderful place.We shall all meet up someday when our time here is done.Just remember Your angel is smiling down at you.Love is the most powerful thing in the world and I think it transcends through time and space and the soul takes that love with them on to heaven bless you and your family's I will continue to pray for you guys.

    ReplyDelete