Saturday, June 3, 2017

It Is Never Easy

To pick up where I left off last night, my husband and I decided to try the old fashioned way to get pregnant again and to pursue genetic testing if and when we managed to conceive. I could only manage to think about things one step at a time --- otherwise, there was so much worry, it would all become overwhelming. They say stress can make it hard to conceive and I thought heck --- there are few things more stressful than burying a loved one! I was nervous about our chances and the countdown clock to deployment was ticking.

We were not successful that first month, but I told myself that was okay because the medicine might still be washing out of my system. The second month, I had a dream that felt very clearly to me like it was from Hailey, like I was being guided to it like Scrooge was guided around by the ghosts of Christmas past, present and future. In it, I held a positive pregnancy test in my hands. When I woke up, I told my husband about the dream and that I believed we would conceive that month, and we did! Weeks later, I cried tears of joy and thanks to our angel in Heaven as I did indeed hold a positive pregnancy test in my hands.

So at that point, we'd crossed two hurdles. I was surviving my unfiltered grief, and we'd managed to conceive our third child. But then we faced our next challenge: genetic testing. It was never an option in my mind to forego the testing, and this is where I must admit to all of you that I am a hypocrite. I do believe that God makes everyone as they are meant to be and this foundation is how I manage to accept so many different walks of life.

I believe that God made Hailey just as she was meant to be, and I don't regret a single moment that I spent with her. I would have given my life to spare hers. I can't tell you how many minutes and hours and days I would sit in the hospital and hold her, and try to push all of my love and my very own life force into her as if I stood a chance of healing her.

But when it came time to try to have another baby, I needed to know if the baby had Hailey's syndrome. And if the baby did, maybe if I were a better or stronger or more faithful person, I would be able to stand up and say, "this is God's plan", and continue with the pregnancy. I want to be honest with all of you and admit that I didn't think I could, for a number of reasons.

First, I've needed to have c-sections to deliver each of my children. While of course there are women out there who have had many c-sections and are fine, most doctors seem to think you should try to keep it to two or three. I've already had two.

Second, I thought about what losing Hailey put our entire family through. It is both a blessing and a curse that our son is too young to remember his baby sister, but if we lose another child, he would be old enough to remember. And he'd remember all the time he lost with me, both because of the time I spent in the hospital, and the time I spent swallowed up with grief. Add to that, my husband will be half-way across the world for the second half of this pregnancy and the birth. I know the Army would send him home if our baby was dying, but that is a lot of worry to put on my husband for the time that he is far away.

Last, and most importantly, is my real reason for feeling like I couldn't give birth to another child with Hailey's syndrome. I could not helplessly hold another child, formed for nine months within my own body, as he or she suffered and lay dying. Hailey's syndrome plagued multiple systems of her body and it was severe. I look back through all of my photos of my time with her in the hospital, and it breaks my heart how tired and sad she looks in some of them. There is one in particular where she looks like an old person who has seen the worst that people can do to each other and is just tired in her soul. There are others where she has fallen asleep with her head thrown back and mouth thrown open, desperately trying to breathe and to hang on.

I was worried that having to walk that path with another child would kill ME, heart and soul. I felt I couldn't knowingly bring another child into this world to suffer that kind of existence. Now, I know we showed Hailey positive things, like the power and beauty of love. But everything we put her through medically was because we thought she could get better. I didn't think I could do all of that to another child now that we knew there would be no chance.

I know that by sharing all of this, some of you may judge me or disagree with me. I hope no one says anything hateful, because it would cut me to the core. But I am telling you all of this anyway because abortion is a very sensitive topic in our society. And I just want people to know there are stories out there like ours, and to know how we feel. That it isn't a black and white issue. It is so, so easy for folks to judge, but until you've walked a mile in someone else's shoes, it is hard to know how YOU would truly react. I'm not trying to change your mind or your beliefs, whatever they may be. I just ask you to be empathetic --- to not take it for granted if you've been blessed enough to never walk the path we are on now.

At any rate, we proceeded with testing and I opted for chorionic villus sampling. It did come with a slightly higher risk of causing miscarriage, which terrified me. The odds might not sound too bad to you if you heard them, but the odds that Hailey would have the syndrome she did were like 1 in a gazillion so I was taking nothing for granted. I chose CVS testing despite the higher risk because it could be done earlier on --- between 11-13 weeks. An amnio can't be done until 15 weeks and for either procedure, results take 2 weeks or so to come back. I could barely stomach the thought of terminating the pregnancy if the baby did have the syndrome, and if that was to be our path, I wanted to face that as early as possible. Sadly, I've had friends who have medically needed to have abortions after 18 weeks gestation and I cannot tell you the heartache they felt, losing a child they could already feel moving inside of them. That was another layer of suffering I didn't think I could endure after losing Hailey.

As the day of the procedure approached, I grew more and more apprehensive. I scheduled it so my husband could be there, and my Mom flew out to help with my son since I'd have to be on bed rest for a few days following. My husband and I talked about whether or not we'd be able to terminate the pregnancy if the baby was sick, and each of us felt more and more uncertain. And that's just it --- I think if you are a well-adjusted person, choosing to end a pregnancy is NEVER an easy decision. It comes with its own anguish.

I thought about our journey, and the blog posts I write here, and wondered if I'd ever be honest with people about what we faced and our feelings on termination, knowing what a polarizing issue it is. Part of me hoped the baby would be healthy so I'd never have to. But another part of me promised that no matter what, I'd be honest with the world so that people have more context when they pick their side of the issue. And perhaps maybe, knowing our story, they will at least speak more gently to others in the future.

With all that being said, the big day finally arrived. I had to show up to the hospital with a full bladder, because I guess that helps the ultrasound tech who helps guide the doctor doing the procedure. I won't go into too much detail, but I will explain a few things because I want you all to know that Hailey was in that room with me. CVS can be conducted either transvaginally, or with a needle through the stomach. It all depends on where the fetus has implanted in the uterus. It is my understanding that the procedure is much harder to tolerate when having to go through the stomach.

Well, when we got in there and the doctor saw where this baby had implanted, she said she'd have to go through my stomach and even then, wasn't sure she'd be able to access enough of the placenta to get enough material for testing. She asked me if we wanted to wait a week and try coming back, but I told her we couldn't because the Army was moving across the country in a matter of days. We were just going to have to pray and hope for the best.

The doctor then told my husband and I they were still waiting on some of my blood work to come back before they could start the procedure, so she said I could empty my bladder (which was about to burst!) and go have lunch, as long as I drank more water. So we wandered down to the hospital cafeteria --- the whole time I was lost in a daze. I tried not to get all worked up. After everything we had gone through with Hailey, I wondered why we were once again being faced with a decision with no good options. I couldn't wait to have the procedure, but doing the procedure that day might not even be successful. And it could all cause a miscarriage anyway. And going through the stomach was the most painful and I'm SQUEAMISH! I took some deep breaths and decided I just needed to trust in God, and by extension, Hailey.

When we returned to the exam room after lunch, I lay on the table as they began to get the big needle and everything else ready. I clasped the necklace around my neck with Hailey's name on it, and I prayed. I prayed for some of my daughter's strength. She faced so much pain for us, and I didn't want to disappoint her by being a wimp about the procedure. I prayed as the ultrasound tech confirmed one last time the position of the placenta. And lo and behold, my little angel had her hand on me in that exam room! Everyone was shocked to see that after emptying my bladder, it had tilted back in the opposite direction of a normal person's, allowing the baby's placenta to move into the perfect position for the procedure to be conducted transvaginally. But more than that, with the new location, the doctor was completely confident she could gather enough material for testing to be successful!

The procedure was unpleasant but not overly painful, and after experiencing that miraculous turnaround, I felt confident Hailey was still watching out for us and it may sound foolhardy, but I then had a sense of peace that the test results would come back clear. I had faith at that point, but worried people would think me naive or lacking in caution, so I was careful not to sound overly optimistic when I spoke of it to anyone. How silly is that? What shame is there in having faith, or being optimistic? Truly, there is none.

About a week after the procedure, the genetic counselor surprised me when she called me while I was in the middle of a vet appointment with my dog. I knew a chromosomal analysis would reveal the gender of the baby as well as something like Down Syndrome, and that test was likely to come back first. I had been warned the test for Hailey's syndrome would take a bit longer, but the lab surprised us. It was the same lab who'd handled Hailey's genetic tests while she was alive --- they knew us and our story and because of this, they had worked to rush our results for this new baby. The counselor brimmed with joy as she gave me "the happiest news ever": our baby did NOT have the syndrome!!!

I was so happy I cried, and eagerly wrapped up the vet appointment so I could rush home and give my husband the good news in person. At that point, all we were waiting on was the gender and Downs test, which I will pick up with my next blog post, if any of y'all are still with me. I know this is a lot to take in, and perhaps I'm oversharing, but this blog is my form of therapy and I thank you for your patience and support.

With love and a grateful heart.

1 comment:

  1. Kate, your eternal optimism and faith is inspiring. Prayers and good vibes headed your way, as you and your family continue your journey. All my love!

    ReplyDelete